Positon : SCADA Engineer
Number of Positions: 01
Department : Technical Services
Duty station : Head Office
Purpose of the position:
- Ensure remote monitoring and control of all substation, in-line devices such as auto-load break switches, and autoreclosers and capacitor banks on the network through the SCADA system at the Control Center.
- Ensure that the planning, execution and reporting of routine maintenance and anomaly resolution activities at the master station and in the field are carried out on time and within budget and in line with the approved operational plans to deliver business objectives without any budget variations.
- Ensure a smooth and continued running of all Control Centre devices and systems to sustain the 24-hour availability and operations all year round by maintaining power supply facilities and Local Area Networks (LANs) at the Control Center.
- Ensure that all SCADA related projects are implemented and commissioned successfully and all necessary documentation provided as per approved standards, processes and procedures.
- Ensure that the installation, configuration and testing of Remote Terminal Units (RTU), Gateways and all SCADA devices are done successfully and as per the approved standards.
- Maintain up-to-date backups of all SCADA equipment configurations at commissioning and subsequently at regular intervals.
- Maintain a complete and concise record of all SCADA Hardware and communications Infrastructure documentation for overall use in SCADA system maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Implement changes and updates on the electricity network diagram in the SCADA system to reflect the actual power system network accurately.
- Ensure the development, review and compliance to all required policies, standards, processes and procedures applicable to SCADA works.
- Deliver routine reports as required.
- Maintain good working relationships within the SCADA and Control center environment that foster team building and high productivity.
- Monitor and Control of all eligible devices in the Electricity Distribution Network;
- Ensure reliable main and backup power supply at the Control Centre.
- Reliable communication network links in Control Center, substations and pole mounted auto-switchgear
- Ensuring correct Remote Terminal Units wiring.
- Ensure that all SCADA ready substations and pole mounted auto-switchgear are added to the network to be monitored and controlled.
- Ensuring the availability of Inter Control Center link with UETCL to enable control of the UEDCL feeders through UETCL control center by liaising with SCADA teams from UETCL Control Center to keep a frequent update of the Network system.
- Maintenance of all SCADA servers, workstations and Remote Terminal Units (RTUs)
- SCADA server maintenance. The SCADA servers are maintained at the beginning of the year and once during the year based on the condition which they are in. This maintenance helps to identify eliminate the possible causes of failure and prolong the lifetime of the hardware.
- Workstation PC maintenance. The workstations are also maintained at the beginning of the year and once during the year based on the condition which they are in. This maintenance helps to identify eliminate the possible causes of failure and prolong the lifetime of the hardware.
- Remote Terminal Unit (RTU) maintenance. The Remote terminal units are maintained at the beginning of the year and once during the year based on the condition which they are in. This maintenance helps to identify eliminate the possible causes of failure and prolong the lifetime of the hardware. This maintenance requires moving to the sites so it involves a lot of travelling to cover all the substations, pole mount auto-switchgear and all maintenance is concluded with a written report submitted to the supervisor.
SCADA Anomaly resolution
- Ensure all equipment have the right status as in the field compared to the HV diagrams in Control Center.
- Ensure that all SCADA anomalies attended to as soon as possible but not later than 48hours after being reported by the power system controllers and field teams.
- Documentation of all the procedures regarding, restoration and configuration of all field devices and their different types in the systems.
Coordinate testing and commissioning of SCADA equipment
- Participate and document entire configuration process for each RTU or Intelligent Electronic Device connected or intended to be connected to the SCADA system.
- Carrying out point to point testing of all the field devices before they are added in the system.
- Carrying out safety briefs and risk analysis held at workplace.
- Reporting lost time accidents and near miss incidents in the safety book
- Ensure that all work is carried out while wearing PPE.
Regular reporting on the SCADA system and RTU availability
- Making a daily SCADA system report to inform all team members about the current number of monitored and unmonitored substations, state of the servers and all other monitored devices like auto-Load break switches, autoreclosers and capacitor banks.
- Making monthly, quarterly bi-annual and annual reports on the system.
SCADA Asset Management
- Maintain an updated inventory of stored and installed SCADA equipment, which includes; Modems, Sim Cards, Workstations, laptops and server machines.
- Training stake holders how to use the system
- Training other SCADA system users on how to use the system.
- Creating of different profiles to allow them access information regarding the Network as per their competence in the training.
- Support project implementation at various stages as and when required until commissioning.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Telecommunication Engineering.
- 3-5 years’ work experience
- Good knowledge of Windows OS, Linux OS, and computer networking is an added advantage
- Knowledge in application software design, programming, SQL Databases etc. is an added advantage
- Experience and technical understanding of SCADA protocols namely: DNP3, IEC 60870-5-101/104/103, IEC 61850, Modbus, ICCP and other widely used protocols
Application Information: Only Applications received online will be considered. To apply; upload your CV (Clearly indicating 3 referees with contacts), Cover letter and all copies of Academic and other support documents. Put the Job title on the subject Line.
Address your application to: The Head Human Resource & Administration, UEDCL Tower, Plot 37 Nakasero Road, Kampala.
NB: Each document that is to be uploaded should not exceed file size of 1MB.
Closing Date: All applications MUST be submitted by, 5:00PM, Friday 16th September 2022. Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted for guidance on the next step.